Have you been keeping up with your heating system’s annual maintenance? Regular maintenance can help save your central heater from experiencing problems that may require costly repairs. But what exactly does a maintenance check-up entail? Are they really essential to your heating system? How much should they cost? Is a maintenance plan membership worth the cost?
If you’re unaware of the importance of heating maintenance, or how much it costs, you could be overpaying for the service! At Peterman Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, Inc., our NATE certified technicians pride themselves on being straightforward and honest with our pricing and the heating services we offer.
Read on to discover the answers to all of the above questions, and to learn about some of the important facts about HVAC maintenance services!
What is Heating Maintenance & Why is it Needed?
Most HVAC systems require annual maintenance checks in order to run as efficiently, and as safely, as possible. Maintenance checks also allow your heating technician to spot potential issues in your system before they become costly problems.
Typical maintenance on a central heating system should include all of the following:
- A check of the thermostat settings to ensure that your system is effectively cooling your home while you’re there, and saving you money while you’re not.
- Tightening the electrical connections, as well as measuring the voltage and current on motors.
- Lubricating all moving parts to reduce friction that can lower the efficiency of your system.
- Inspecting and cleaning the condensate drain to prevent clogging.
- Changing or cleaning the filter.
- A check of all the unit’s controls, as well as the gas connections, gas pressure, burner combustion, and heat exchanger. This is crucial, (especially if you own a gas furnace) as faulty gas connections can lead to a carbon monoxide leak in your home, which is a severe fire and health hazard.
Average Cost of Such a Service
Maintenance costs vary from one service company to another, as well as from one unit to another. If your unit is older, for example, it may require a little more TLC than a newer unit would, which could be reflected in your total cost.
The national average price of heating maintenance is between $70-$100, though in some areas it can be as little as $50 or as much as $150.
Many heating maintenance services also offer the option of an annual maintenance membership. These usually come with a yearly fee that covers all maintenance check-ups, as well as any repairs that may be needed due to a lack of maintenance.
Call us For Heater Installation & Repairs!
If you live in the Indianapolis, Indiana area and are in need of heating installation, repairs, or maintenance, call Peterman Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, Inc. today!
With over 25 years of HVAC experience, our knowledgeable and always honest technicians can handle just about anything your heating unit can dish out!
Our technicians are all NATE certified, and our staff is continually undergoing new training to keep up with the ever-changing technological world we live in. We always use only the best materials to ensure that your system runs as efficiently as possible!